Position # 2013338 Heavy Equipment Operator. We’re looking for a highly motivated, professional team player to join our Equipment team. Positions available in South Florida and Clearwater, FL.
General Description. Operates several types of construction equipment to include, but not limited to backhoes, dozers or rough grader. Demands require worker with experience in the heavy, civil construction industry and ability to work under limited direction and supervision of the Foreman and/or Project Superintendent.
• Inspects equipment/machinery for safe day-to-day operation and for general
• Operates various heavy equipment, such as dozers, scrapers, loaders,
excavators, tractors, front loaders and back hoes, to excavate, move and grade
• Interacts with construction general laborers and/or crew members who are
facilitating alignment, movement, and adjustment of the equipment to
complete conformation of grade specifications for the construction project.
• Turn valves to control air and water output of compressors and pumps.
• Adjusts control wheels, handles and depresses pedals to drive machinery and
control attachments, such as blades, buckets, scrapers and swing booms.
• General. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each Key Duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Education and Experience. This position typically is not an entry-level job, as it requires demonstrable previous experience as a Heavy Equipment Operator. A high school diploma or general education degree (GED) is preferred. Must be able to understand work directions and communicate effectively with job site supervisors and fellow employees. Must understand the different signals used to signal operators of construction machinery. Five (5) years or more of industry related experience is required for this position, with an emphasis on roads, highways, and bridges.
• Physical Demands. The following physical demands are representative of those that must be met by a Heavy Equipment Operator to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Constant pushing/pulling is required when the employee operates hand controls. Initial
force to pull open the cab door is influenced by the weather. Moderate wind yielded
force pound recording of up to 50 lbs. of force to pull the cab door open/close.
Minimal sedentary to light level of lifting is required occasionally, such as hand held
radios and other personal belongings into the truck cab.
Sitting occurs on a constant basis as the operators perform their duties. Seated positions
in the cab can vary depending on the type of machinery they operate. Twisting of the
upper back/thoracic area to view surrounding areas and other moving vehicles/equipment
occurs on a constant basis.
Alternate standing and walking is performed at an occasional basis to access the
machinery/equipment. Safe negotiation of uneven terrain in various weather conditions
Ladder climbing is performed to enter/exit the equipment or machinery.
Occasionally crawls to check equipment/machinery for safe day-to-day operation and for
general maintenance needs.
Forward torso bending is required to reach the hand controls of machinery or during
inspection of the equipment.
May be occasionally required during general inspection of machinery/equipment.
• Work Environment. The work environment characteristics described below are representative of those that a Heavy Equipment Operator encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
o Work is performed outdoors in all weather conditions.
o Work environment periodically exposes the employees to high levels of noise, grease, and dust that is typically associated with a construction project.
o Employee regularly works near other heavy equipment and moving machinery.
o Work may involve a variety of substances commonly found on construction sites such as form oil, grease, curing compounds, gasoline, diesel fuel and ready mixed concrete.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and promote a Drug-Free Workplace.
M/F/D/V encouraged to apply.
Miami Dade County