Position # 2014328 Bridge Carpenter: We’re looking for a highly motivated, professional team player to join our Bridge Construction team. This position is located in South Florida.
General Description. A Bridge Carpenter is an hourly-rated skilled craft position that performs on construction projects any combination of the duties described more fully, below. A Bridge Carpenter typically performs a wide variety of tasks, transferring from one task to another as the work flow dictates.
• Drive piling
• Build job-specific wood forms and assemble commercially-available form systems
• Set and tie steel, as required
• Erect and wreck all forms
• Pour, grade and finish concrete
• Load and unload materials
• Shovel dirt, gravel and asphalt
• Perform general housekeeping and clean-up of the job site
• Check and maintain grade stakes and other survey markings
• Maintain equipment and tools
• Enter confined spaces, as required
• Operate a man-lift
• Provide flagging and direction to Crane Operators
• Must be able to walk on rebar
• Must have own tools
• Perform incidental work items and duties included within other crafts
• General. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each Key Duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Education and Experience. This position typically is not an entry-level job, as it requires demonstrable previous experience as a Bridge Carpenter. A high school diploma or general education degree (GED) is preferred. Must be able to understand work directions and communicate effectively with job site supervisors and fellow employees. Three (3) to Five (5) years or more of industry related experience is required for this position, with an emphasis on roads, highways, and bridges.
• Physical Demands. The following physical demands are representative of those that must be met by a Bridge Carpenter to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
o Constant physical effort, including standing, is required during a regular work shift of at least eight hours per day. Employee must be able to stand for extended periods of time, and to stoop, bend, and crouch as required to perform Key Duties.
o Work is often performed at heights up to 60 feet, requiring the employee to climb ladders, scaffolds and stair towers, often with narrow steps and passageways.
o Frequently work with hands extended overhead, sometimes in conjunction with the operation of hand power tools.
o Ability to lift and carry, on a frequent basis, at least 50-90 pounds personally, and up to 150 pounds with assistance.
o Manual dexterity to hand-carry generators, lumber and other construction materials, forms, power tools, and hand tools.
o Capable of operating concrete vibrators for extended periods of time.
o Physical dexterity to pour, grade and finish concrete, involving stretching, proper placement of legs, and use of arms and hands in repetitive motions.
o Maintain constant alertness to the multiple concurrent activities of the construction site, including the activities of other employees and contractors, the operation of stationary equipment, and the movement of mobile equipment.
o Frequently walk on uneven surfaces, including natural ground in varying weather conditions.
o Capable of being certified to enter confined spaces, including climbing into and out of excavations up to 15 feet in depth, using ladders or crawling, as required.
o Sufficient skill and visual acuity, under varying degrees of light, darkness, and weather conditions, to provide direction and flagging for operators of cranes with rated capacities of up to 300 tons.
o Capable of safely and productively operating a man-lift.
o Ability to maintain balance while working on water craft or other surfaces.
o The Operator must be able to climb on and off heavy mobile equipment safely.
• Work Environment. The work environment characteristics described below are representative of those that a Bridge Carpenter encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
o Work is performed outdoors in all weather conditions.
o Work environment periodically exposes the employees to high levels of noise, grease, and dust that is typically associated with a construction project.
o Employee regularly works near heavy equipment and moving machinery.
o Work may involve a variety of substances commonly found on construction sites such as form oil, grease, curing compounds, gasoline, diesel fuel and ready mixed concrete.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and promote a Drug-Free Workplace.
M/F/D/V encouraged to apply.
Miami Dade County